Dr. Carlos A. Archilla is the Chairman of the Anesthesiology Department at the Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando, Florida, USA. He graduated from the University Of Puerto Rico School of Medicine and completed his training in Anesthesia, Pediatric Anesthesia and Critical Care Medicine at the Johns Hopkins Hospital. He is an Associate Professor at Florida State University and the University of Central Florida, College of Medicine. He is a frequent presenter and expert panelist at national and international meetings. He is a member of the American Society of Anesthesiologists and the European Society of Pediatric Anesthesia.
The presentation will cover the effects of commonly prescribed opioids, will define the term narcotic, and will discuss the effects of direct to consumer advertisement. We will also discuss the results of an institutional poll
that assessed the attitudes towards prescribing opioids. Will also discuss pain development, pain options and will review recent literature.
Audience Take Away
- More patients are asking for pain relievers-Direct to Consumer Advertisement effect
- Great number of physicians, have significant concerns when prescribing opioids. Internal polling will show practitioners’ attitudes in sample institution
- Opioids are largely prescribed in the USA
- Pain fiber development
- Opioid side effects and basic pharmacology
- Current literature review