Title : The effects of handoff between ED and inpatient nurses on patient/family satisfaction
Communication failures, such as lack of standardized handoff, increases risk of error and decreases patient satisfaction. Local Problem: lack of handoff between emergency and inpatient unit upon admission resulting in lack of nursing knowledge of patient and patient/family dissatisfaction.
Education provided to emergency and inpatient unit nurses and new process developed to use hospital supplied phones to communicate between units Intervention: incorporated use of text message between units to handoff pertinent patient information and time of arrival to unit.
Minimal nursing engagement due to lack of continued support along with nursing burnout due to the COVID-19 pandemic; opportunity to analyze strengths and limitations of the project.
Patient/family satisfaction is the pillar of organizational mission and an ongoing motivator for quality improvement; leadership support is vital for intervention sustainability
Keywords: communication, nurses, satisfaction, education
Audience Take Away Notes:
- Explain how the audience will be able to use what they learn?
- The audience will be encouraged to examine opportunity for increased communication between units when transferring care between patients. This may include examining current policies and practices to utilize current resources to its maximum ability.
- The audience will be able to take what went well/what didn’t go well from my project and apply it to their specific unit to increase communication and to improve patient/family satisfaction
- How will this help the audience in their job? Is this research that other faculty could use to expand their research or teaching? Does this provide a practical solution to a problem that could simplify or make a designer’s job more efficient? Will it improve the accuracy of a design, or provide new information to assist in a design problem? List all other benefits.
- With adherence to a streamlined and standardized workflow, this project can provide a practical solution to simplify nurse’s workflow allowing nurses to be more knowledgeable of their patients prior to admission