Integration of a specialized unit that delivers stem cell-based therapies, which are in research development phase, into existing clinical and research structures
Creation of the “hybrid nurse” profile, the front line RN who functions effectively in two arenas, direct care and research.
Identification of unique nursing skills, both clinical and critical thinking, necessary to develop, implement, and sustain such an innovative unit.
Creation of the Patient Care Coordinator role as clinical expert, educator, collaborator, and patient advocate.
Description of the physical unit and critical adjacencies.
Identification of key collaborative relationships throughout the organization and outside the organization, i.e., clinicians, stem cell lab, pharmacy, research and regulatory, accreditation bodies, patient advocacy groups, pharmaceutical companies, marketing, etc.
The role of nursing in accelerating these therapies through collaboration, nimbleness, innovation, vision and passion.
Audience Take Away:
- Understanding of the concept of the “hybrid nurse”
- Understanding of the role and responsibilities of the Patient Care Coordinator
- Understanding of physical set up of unit and critical adjacencies
- Understanding of the collaborative relationships necessary to sustain unit
- Understanding of the critical role of nursing in accelerating therapies