Title : Effect of work environment on the pattern of nurses job satisfaction in Zewditu memorial hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 2022
Background: Nurses need to control over their practice and their satisfaction was affected by work environment. Nurse satisfaction has direct impact on the quality of care and patient outcome.
Objective: To assess the effect of work environment on the pattern of nurses’ job satisfaction in Zewditu Memorial Hospital Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 2022
Methods: Descriptive hospital based quantitative cross-sectional study design was utilized from June to July 2022. Study participants were nurses working in different care units of Zewditu Memorial Hospital in Kirkos Sub-city of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Three pages self-administered questionnaire was provided to participants’ who were selected through stratified simple random sampling, then data analysis was done using SPSS version 26.0.
Result: A total of 197 nurses included in the study, in which 62% of them were females. Around 60.4% of participants were 25 - 29 years of age with mean age of 28.4 ± 5.6 years and 88.8% of them worked in the hospital for less than 2 years. General satisfaction of nurses on work environment was 75.6% and specific satisfaction rate on seven constructs ranged from 57.4% to 86.3%. The overall mean of nurses’ satisfaction on seven factors was 2.93. The relative satisfaction of nurses on their work environment with the highest mean score of satisfaction on communication (3.16), leadership and teamwork (3.04) and conflict resolution (3.01) factors. The lowest score of mean satisfaction was on resource allocation (2.58) and professional development factors (2.85).
Conclusion: Work environment has direct influence on nurses’ satisfaction and it influences the quality of nursing care and patient safety.
Key words: Job satisfaction; Nurse; Work environment
Audience Take Away Notes:
- This study showed the importance of work environment as a major input factor to nursing care provision (the process) and the quality of care provided (the output).
- Interested researchers and academicians can further investigate on each of six internal factors that contribute to the component of work environment.
- Individual institution based quality improvement team at various levels of health care setup (in health centers or hospitals) can able to refer to six pillar factors and tailor their own conducive work environment.
- The result can help managers and policy makers to understand areas of improvement in the context of leadership, nurses capacity building, resource allocation,
- It can also help to plan for efficient human resource management.