Title : Let’s get LOUD: An engaging talk series to build exceptional nurses
A Nursing TED Talk (NED) meant to inspire fellow educators to discover new and innovative ways of engaging the newest generation of nurses. Nurse Educators have been met with the challenge of engaging and retaining a new generation of nurses while they navigate both the typical and atypical: typical first year challenges coupled with the atypical, a pandemic and growing staff shortage. A learning needs assessment revealed a need to approach learners in a different way than in the past. Utilizing the idea of Brain-Based Learning, the idea was embraced that learning should be based on how human attention, memory, motivation, and conceptual knowledge acquisition work. RN/LPN Residency Seminar structure format was changed to adapt to a more flexible and interactive learning environment. The “Let’s Get LOUD” engaging talk series was born. Seminar learners begin their day by hearing a 15-18-minute talk centered on the speaker’s personal experience and generalized to the healthcare environment. Each talk introduces a main theme which becomes the umbrella under which the day’s activities and discussions revolve. By allowing the learner to connect on an individual level early on in the day, a deeper and more holistic discussion about the professional and personal journey of each nurse is encouraged and cultivated. Learner evaluations have demonstrated positive reactions to the shorter, more concise, and personalized format. While the world of healthcare faces challenging times, this is the time for educators to dig in and discover new ways of motivating and captivating their learners so that they can maximize the potential of a new generation of nurses.
Audience Take Away Notes:
- Audience members will learn the benefits of utilizing a Brain-Based Learning Theory to guide their education delivery.
- Use of associations, like metaphors and analogies, to promote learning
- Utilize the knowledge that the human brain can process information on various levels at the same time
- Focus on fun and engagement!!
- Audience members will see how easy and fun it is to start with a concrete idea and build discussion around it to promote abstract thought
- Audience members will learn ways to provide content expert information in an activity format instead of lecture and power point.