Title : Public perception of nursing profession among inhabitants in Buea, South West region, Cameroon
There have been controversies about public perception of the nursing profession for varied reasons. Survival of nursing as a profession is dependent upon the positive impact it has on consumers.
This study aimed at investigating the views of participants regarding nurses and the nursing profession, reasons for their perceptions and measures to enhance the public image of nursing.
The study adopted a community based cross-sectional survey design. Purposive, convenient and snowball samplings were used to select the study site and enroll participants. The study was conducted in the Bonduma Community, Buea Health District in Fako Division, South West Region of Cameroon. The participants were made up of the inhabitants of the Bonduma Community aged 21 and above. Respondents who met the inclusion criteria and gave their consent to participate in the study were selected. Data was collected using a pre-tested semi-structured questionnaire made up of both open and closed-ended questions. Data collected was entered using a pre-designed EpiData version 21 for analysis.
A total of 140 respondents participated in the study. The study revealed that, 58.58% of the participants had a positive perception of nursing; more males (60.35%) appreciated nursing than females (43.75%), 24.26% participants said they will encourage self and others to become nurses because it involves saving lives, 11.43% said they will not because of low salaries. Preference for old nurses was the most represented (22.86%), reasons being that they are experienced, responsible and understanding, while 20% preferred male nurses. To improve the public image of the profession, 27.86% said good conduct should be rewarded while bad conduct punished and 14.28% said salaries should be increased.
Generally, the public has a positive perception of the nursing profession; however, nurses need to treat all patients with unconditional love and kindness.
Keywords: Perception, Public, Nursing Profession, Nurses
Audience Take Away Notes:
- Overall, the public has a positive perception of the nursing profession
- There is need for nurses to maintain and enhance the positive image of nursing
- Nurses should treat all patients with unconditional love and kindness
- Nurses should always remember the primary aim of nursing; which is to make their patients a priority over any other consideration
- It be a reminder to Audience of the ethics of the nursing profession
- Audienec will be able to apply it in their clinical practice
- It could help faculty to conduct a further research in this area and teachers could use the findings of this research to emphasise the need for nurses to always apply the ethics of the profession in their day to day practice
- It could help in the designing of nursing programmes
- It will help to improve the accuracy of a design, or provide new information to assist in a design problem
5. Other benefits:
- It will help to train ideal nurses who will promote the image of the nursing profession
- It will help in the training of nurses who will provide safe patient care
- It will help to train nurses who will provide quality care with high level of patients’ satisfaction